Friday, May 25, 2012

island lady

                                      Island Lady

After a head-on-collision that totalled my car and almost totalled me, I was resting in bed trying to read "The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation" when I opened to a page that said, "forget everything that you have ever read."  So I closed the book and began meditating during my prescribed periods of rest.
Excruciating pain kept me from resting peacefully but I continued my meditations.  During my meditations, a beautiful island lady, old and full of years, appeared walking on a solitary silver sand beach with the ocean softly lapping away her footprints in the sand.
I did not know her; I only knew that whenever she appeared, she lifted me in body and spirit.
A year and a half later, still in pain, I was walking on a deserted beach in Hawaii.  As I turned to return home, I noticed one path of footprints in the sand and they were my own.
Ancient Hawaiian legend says if you step into the footprints of another, you may get their karma.  So usually when I walked on a beach with footprints, I would dodge the footprints.
But this day, as I turned, I stepped into my footprints on the beach and in a magical moment I knew they were the footprints of the island lady that I had seen walking in my meditations.  Now I was the island lady walking on the beach ~ she and I were one ~ and I was healed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment